live simply. so others can simply live.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

starbucks life.

disclaimer: I do not like starbucks, their coffee is just plain not that great. My new love is peet's, however... the chonga bagel... heaven. :)

One of the great things I love about the PCC sylvania campus is that it is 5 wonderful minutes from multnomah village. I LOVE the village. I sit here in the village starbucks with my tall drip with hazelnut and cream more often these days due to the hour-ish break between classes on thursdays. It is a fantastic place to people watch. The village is a vast accumulation of all the peoples of portland and whether we like it or not, starbucks is the epitome of that.

The two women in front of me love Jesus, but they forget to pick up their fairly large amount of trash before they leave. By the window overlooking the main street, a woman on the phone discusses the meaning of life. A cute group of old guys just walked in with canes and windbreakers in hand and it is joyful because the bright sun that makes this january day so perfect, is beating down warmth upon my back.

Next to me a blond woman in a fashionably adorable red jacket is contemplating the purchase of a travel mug. A mug which i imagine she will fill with a skinny vanilla latte. Two children (toddlers! my favorite!) have now occupied the shrunken table behind me. The woman with them, I assume is their mother, is young.... very young...maybe a nanny?

A hip portland couple walked in...
...you know the ones I mean.

The mom/nanny buys a tall drip refill...toddlers require copious amounts of energy. I know how she feels.

I get up, and walk out. Filled with sunny joy and caffeine, waving to one of the toddlers staring at my with intense wonder and curiosity.

Time for chemistry.

peace and love friends,
jess

1 comment:

dani-yelli. said...

oh my sweet jeez.
you are poetry.
<3